Miss

Miss

WTF?

Plush - Kate Crash,  Catherine Hardwicke

Clearly this is a love it or hate it kind of read.Yes, it was a fucking mess. I have a fondness for damaged character's, but I have to be able to connect with them on some level. I have to be able to feel bad for them when the situation warrants it. I have to be able to understand the pull that draws others to them. I have to be able to imagine myself in their fucked up shoes.

I get what the author was trying to accomplish here. An attempt was made to draw the reader into the fucked up mind of Haley. I've read my fair share of bipolar, drug addicted character's and there have been many times that I've been absorbed in their high with a clear understanding of their state of mind. What they see, what they feel, the description of the sounds that surround them while in a manic state, or even a drug induced haze. This can be accomplished by a talented writer without the use of choppy disjointed prose.

The first half of this book was incredibly frustrating. All the five star reviews left me curious so I was determined to keep going. I wanted to find what it was about this book that made it so enticing. What is hidden in this mess that other readers loved so much? After finishing this book I am still without answers. I admit to having a few WTF moments but they were not because of unexpected surprises or anything truly shocking. I was disturbed by the weirdness between Haley, and her brother Jack. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what Carter saw in Haley. Obviously Enzo is off his rocker so who knows what even started his fascination with the group. Then we get to the open to interpretation ending. Normally this is something that would bother me leaving me in the dark desperate for answers. It didn't bother me this time because to be honest I just didn't even care by that point.

This book was written based on a screenplay. I have no clue how much of this book comes from the author's imagination or if it is close to the original writers vision.